Poor Wine Service Examples

Bruce Sanderson, Senior Editor and Tasting Director, New York

I joined Wine Spectator in 1993 as tasting coordinator and was promoted to tasting director in 1995. In 1999, I became a senior editor.

Born in Canada, I studied urban geography at the University of Waterloo, then earned a master’s degree from Queen’s University. My career as a model and actor brought me to Germany, where I first became passionate about wine. I entered the wine industry after moving to New York in 1990, gaining experience with specialty retailer Burgundy Wine Company and working as sommelier at Windows on the World.

Under my direction, Wine Spectator’s tasting department organizes the tastings of more than 12,500 wines each year in New York, California and Europe, and maintains the magazine's databases for wine ratings, restaurant awards and commercial auctions.

My own tasting responsibilities include the wines of Germany and the French regions of Alsace, Burgundy and Champagne.

The following is the highlight of of important points from Bruce Sanderson's blog in light of the magazine's recent restaurant survey:

Examples of fundamental flaws in restaurant wine service:

"Information on a wine list is fundamental, but many of the wines on their list had no vintages. This drives me (and us here at Wine Spectator) crazy and is the reason most of the new entries in our Restaurant Awards program do not win an award."

"When the wine was brought to the table, it wasn’t presented to me."

"I tasted the wine, and it was fine, but too warm. I asked that it be chilled for 10 or 15 minutes. Fortunately, we had not eaten our appetizers yet. Improper serving temperature is another fundamental flaw in wine service."

"Temperature was also the issue in the Ontario restaurant. We ordered a bottle of red that was too warm and had to be chilled a little. We ordered a second bottle and requested, in advance, that it be chilled. When it was time to open the second bottle, it had not been chilled. We ended up ordering by the glass instead.

Please visit the following link for the full article:

Blog Posted: 10:13 AM ET, July 21, 2008

For addition poor wine service examples, please visit the following Zagat forum discussion, on the topic "Outrageous Wine Stories" from last year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code: 'Hotel Wear'

Michael Jackson’s Most Memorable Hotel Visits